Saturday 14 July 2012

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Title; What I Didn't Say


Author; Keary Taylor


Publisher; CreateSpace


Publication Date; April 30th 2012


Series; Stand-Alone


Description; Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat. 

His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.

When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.


Stars; Five out of five


Would I recommend it? I do recommend it. If you haven't picked up a copy already, then you should order it ASAP!


Review; This was a well written book for a heavy subject. The subject was not taken lightly and the book felt realistic to me. I liked how only the important days and events were written about, there was no need for filler chapters which I loved. The author's note that was at the end of this book made me like the book even more. How would you react to the news that you could never speak again? I'd want to scream, but I wouldn't be able to. To not be able to speak after being able to for so many years would be beyond difficult, for any of us. Which is why I am glad the subject was not taken lightly.
Sometimes you find with a book involving not-so-light subjects the story is just about the love and not the hardship. This is not the case with What I Didn't Say. Sure, the story has elements of love, that is what the story is about, but the love is not the main focus. The hardships and problems are front, as they should be.
I loved this book so much I want a sequel. I'd love to find out what happens with the rest of Samantha and Jake's life. I hope to see more of them in the future, but if not this one and only book was enough because it was amazingly written.
 I cannot wait to see more work by Keary Taylor. This is definitely one of my favourites and I recommend you pick up your own copy now. Don't forget to read the author's note, that for me made the story more precious and likeable. A must-read.

1 comment: