Monday 2 July 2012

Dusk by Susan Gates

Title; Dusk

Author; Susan Gates

Published; 19th May 2005

Blurb; Dusk knows where she fits in.
             Day is Wolf's time.
             Night belongs to the rats.
             And she is Dusk.

She's earned her place as one of the top predators. She's human enough to feel proud of that. But then Jay, the boy, stumbles into the deserted town. He's food for the predators. If the dogs don't get him, the rats will.
Is Dusk human enough to help him? 
And can he help save her?


Stars; Three and a half.


Would I recommend it? Yes and no. If you are an avid reader looking for something different, I would recommend this book. It is not something I would recommend to my friends though, or to someone who doesn't read a lot.


Review; The book was short at only 172 pages. It felt as if it was only half a book. There could have been a lot more information, especially with the side characters.
During the beginning of this book my heart ached for Dusk. During most of the book in fact. She was so confused when it came to human affection, my heart really went out to her.  She was so scared. 
Jay however wasn't a very good character in my eyes. He was whiny and pathetic. Or at least he was in my eyes. It was only near the ending when he started to be a bit more mature, that I  began to like his character a little bit. 
One of the main things I didn't like was the age of the main characters. Both were thirteen and I felt they should have been older. There reactions weren't as panicked as they should have been either, well Jay's reactions. 
There are a few things I didn't like about this book, which is why it only got three and a half stars, but it was an original story. You don't come across those often these days, it is usually the same story told in a different way, but it needed to be longer. A lot of others have enjoyed this book, but while I enjoyed it I see room for improvement. Or a sequel. 
If you are looking for something new, pick this book up. I'd say the age range was 13+ there is a lot of swearing and some terrible scenes that even made me cringe! I didn't know what to expect from this book, but what I got was better than I thought it would be. I'm not sure if you would be able find it in your local book store, but you can find it on-line. Try Amazon!
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment