Friday 22 February 2013

The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett



Title; The Nightmare Affair
Author; Mindee Arnett
Series; The Arkwell Academy, book one.
Source; NetGalley
Format; Kindle
Publisher; Tor Teen
Publication Date; March 5th 2013
Description; 
Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target

Goodreads Average Rating; 3.90
My Rating; 3.75*s
Would I read anything else by this author? I'd give something else a try.
Would I recommend this book? Possibly. I don't know if I'd recommend it, really.
Who would I recommend it to? Unsure.

My Review; To be honest, I was quite disappointed with this book. It's not that it was bad or anything, because it was an okay read, but...I guess I wanted more. I guess I was...expecting more.

Dusty's character seemed immature and slightly annoying. At times it was like the book was narrated by a 12 year old and not a 16 year old.
That kind of annoyed me, and might well be what ruined this book for me, because it was an alright book, I just...didn't love it.

I think that the plot for this book is rather interesting. I have heard of Nightmares before (not just the dreams) and I have read about them as secondary characters. So, reading about a Nightmare, or the book being narrated by a Nightmare, that was something new.

This is a book that might recommend, but it would have to be to the right person. I mean, I'm sure some people will love this book, but that person is not me.

I think, near the end was probably the best part about this book. And to be honest, I didn't really feel like I wanted more, but I will still be reading the next book.

An enjoyable read, but not one that I loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment