Tuesday 21 August 2012

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie


May contain spoilers about the beginning of the story! 
Title; Matched

Author; Ally Condie

Publisher; Razor Bill - Penguin

Publication Date; December 1st 2010

Series; Matched Trilogy Book One

Can it stand alone? I would recommend it standing alone, best as part of a series.

Description; On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her match. The Society dictates that he is her perfect partner for life, except he's not.

In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love.
How many children they have.
Where they work.
When they die.

But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy,
she is determined to make some choices of her own.

And that's when her whole world
begins to unravel...

Star Rating; 4.5 out of 5 stars

Would I recommend it? Yes

Who would I recommend it to? Those who like dystopia novels with less action.

Would I read anything else by this author? Yes I would. (Not only the sequels!)

Review; Ally Condie makes you ask questions. "Why does this happen? Why does this person act this way? What's going on here?" To me this is what makes a good book or series. Having questions that need to be answered, it keeps people reading.
I'm not entirely sure why I didn't rate it five stars. Maybe it was the way it was written. I'm not sure I like the style too much, though I can handle it.
Cassia - I like the name - her character was okay, but there was something missing. Xander, I would have liked to see more of him. There wasn't enough moments with Xander in, it stopped him from being a main part of the story as he should have been. Ky, I like his character. He is aware. He is smart. He is complex because of his past. I would like to get to know Ky better.
The main thing that threw me was her match. I thought she would get matched with a stranger and then fall for Xander, but boy was I proved wrong! I'm glad I was though.
Whilst nothing else made me slap my hand to my mouth there were a few unexpected moments. Things that kept me on the edge of my seat.
This may not be one of my favourites, but I still think it is worth a read. Matched is quite light compared to a lot of other dystopia books out there, but it is still not "fluffy." I think it is worth the read and it is a book I could reread in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment