Friday 4 July 2014

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh


Title; The Language of Flowers
Author; Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Pages; 402
Source; Store Bought
Format; Paperback
Publisher; Pan Publishing
Publication Date; August 23rd 2011

Description; A "NEW YORK TIMES" BESTSELLER

The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it's been more useful in communicating mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster-care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen and emancipated from the system with nowhere to go, Victoria realizes she has a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But an unexpected encounter with a mysterious stranger has her questioning what's been missing in her life. And when she's forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether it's worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness.

Rating; 3.5*s

Review; Surprise, surprise; it's another book that I am confused about. Currently I have rated this book 4 stars on Goodreads, but I just don't know if that feels right to me.

I mean, I liked the book, connected with the character, I just feel it could have been a little better, maybe? Some things were just too predictable for me. There were things I had seen before, but there were things I hadn't. Honestly, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Whilst I liked the main character, Victoria, there were times when I just couldn't understand her decisions. Times when I was damn shocked at how she acted or something she did. Some things I could forgive, even understand, but some things were just too much for me. Although I did like her, I feel she could have been a bit better, understood more and maybe not have done some of things she did.

The other main characters, Elizabeth, Renata, Grant, I loved them all. They were all wonderful and they all tried. And I just...loved them all.

One of the main reasons I wanted to read this book is because I have been wanting to learn the language of flowers for many years now, ever since I found out some of the meanings for roses a few years back. And this book did teach me more whilst also giving me a good story to read. I wanted to know what was going to happen and I wished for a happy ending.

You know, I loved the ending. It was not a typical "everything is fine" ending, but it didn't leave you hopeless either. The perfect in between.

I will read more by Vanessa and I would recommend this book. You know, I think it deserves 3.5*s.

I also quite like the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment